Whether you’re an architect, engineer, contractor or owner, you work on important projects that require accuracy and consistency. This process can often be tedious, especially when hand-measuring is involved. Thanks to industry leaders and some incredible innovation, there is a proven, accurate and cost-effective solution—3D laser scanning.
Three-dimensional lasers capture your project by simultaneously taking measurements and photos. The scanner overlays the pictures onto the measured points, which creates a detailed representation of the project site. This process captures even the most detailed components of the built world.
“Three-dimensional laser scanning allows you to have a true as-built design at your fingertips.”
—Andrew Poe, PLS, Field Operations Manager and Laser Scanning Specialist, Epic Scan
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF 3D LASER SCANNING?
- Enjoy easy and accurate project measurements—no more measuring tapes!
- Get a digital record of your project.
- Reduce site visits, RFIs and change orders.
- Acquire a single source of measurements for all parties involved.
WHAT ARE THE DELIVERABLES OF 3D LASER SCANNING?
- Point cloud data: a digital representation of your project featuring accurate measurements
- BIM (building information model): a 3D visual database of your project
- Virtual site access (VSA): the ability to access your entire project from your phone or computer
- 2D/orthographic drawings: an industry standard plan, elevation or section that is a simplified representation of your project
WHAT CAN A/E/Cs DO WITH THESE DELIVERABLES?
- Quality check your work to ensure efficient design.
- Reference when creating design models.
- Renovate projects using up-to-date and accurate documentation.
- Share project conditions with the design team and subcontractors.
WHAT DO ARCHITECTS AND ENGINEERS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT 3D LASER SCANNING?
“Laser scanning provides an excellent spatial visual of the old and the new. It helped us determine aggravation points precisely and mitigation for those aggravation points.”
—Dodge City Design Team, Koch Fertilizer
“Epic Scan helped us realize the benefits of quality scanning—bridging the gap between technology and project needs.”
—Naomi Miroglio, AIA, Principal at Architectural Resource Group
GETTING STARTED WITH 3D LASER SCANNING
Three-dimensional laser scanning is an accurate and cost-effective method of documenting your project. This tool has incredible value to the A/E/C industry as it increases the efficiency and accuracy of the design process. It allows all parties to truly understand the project scope while being able to clearly communicate project needs. Check out our Projects page to see how our clients are using 3D laser scanning. Give us a call with any questions at 415.524.0516 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.